It’s the time of year where I talk about way more than anyone is willing to care about… the ALBUM OF THE YEAR.
I keep track all year, every year, and 2019 has been no different. Like 2018, it’s been a year without any huge instant classics, but lots of good quality in lots of different genres. I had an easy time picking 20 contestants for this list, but a very hard time arranging them and making the final cut.
So without any further unnecessary talking, here is the list!
- Leprous - Pitfalls
- Borknagar - True North
- Denzel Curry - ZUU
- James Blake - Assume Form
- Lisa Morgenstern - Chameleon
- Wilderun - Veil of Imagination
- Flume - Hi This is Flume
- Cult of Luna - A Dawn to Fear
- The Chemical Brothers - No Geography
- Vorna - Sateet palata saavat
I would love to hear your opinion, and anything I might have missed.
That being said, I usually have some honorable mentions as well. But…
- Lisa Morgenstern already claims “best new artist”
- Vorna already claims “best non-English album”
So here are some of the albums that really impressed me, but just didn’t make the cut (no particular order):
- Yagya - Stormur (minimal techno)
- The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery (fusion/psychedelic jazz rock)
- Yugen Blakrok - Anima Mysterum (hip hop/trip hop)